Thank you for reading Carrier Select Telecoms Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). By accessing this website, or by contracting with us for service, you agree, without limitation or qualification, to be bound by this policy and the terms and conditions it contains, as well as any other additional terms, conditions, rules or policies which are displayed to you in connection with this service/website.
The purpose of this AUP is to comply with the relevant laws of the Republic; to specify to customers and users of our service/website what activities and online behaviour are considered an unacceptable use of the service/website; to protect the integrity of our network and to specify the consequences that may flow from undertaking such prohibited activities.
This document contains a number of legal obligations which you are presumed to be familiar with. As such, we encourage you to read this document thoroughly.
Carrier Select Telecoms respects the rights of our customers and users of our services to freedom of speech and expression; access to information; privacy; human dignity; religion, belief and opinion in accordance with our constitution. We undertake not to interfere with any of those rights unless required to do so by law; unless those rights are exercised for unlawful purposes; or unless the exercise of those rights threatens to cause harm to another person or affect the integrity of our network.
ISPA membership and Code of Conduct
Carrier Select Telecoms confirms that in compliance with section 72 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act 25 of 2002, Carrier Select Telecoms (PTY) LTD is a proud member of the Internet Service Providers’ Association (ISPA) and has adopted and implemented the association’s official Code of Conduct, which can be viewed at http://www.ispa.org.za/code.
Carrier Select Telecoms services/website may only be used for lawful purposes and activities. We prohibit any use of our website/network including the transmission, storage and distribution of any material or content using our network that violates any law or regulation of the Republic. This includes:
- Any violation of local and international laws prohibiting child pornography; obscenity; discrimination (including racial, gender or religious slurs) and hate speech; or speech designed to incite violence or hatred, or threats to cause bodily harm.
- Any activity designed to defame, abuse, stalk, harass or physically threaten any individual in the Republic or beyond its borders; including any attempt to link to, post, transmit or otherwise distribute any inappropriate or defamatory material.
- Any violation of Intellectual Property laws including materials protected by local and international copyright, trademarks and trade secrets. Moreover Carrier Select Telecoms cannot be held liable if you make any unlawful use of any multimedia content accessed through the search facility provided by Carrier Select Telecoms network, or otherwise available through access to our network, whether for commercial or noncommercial purposes.
- Any violation of the individual’s right to privacy, including any effort to collect personal data of third parties without their consent.
- Any fraudulent activity whatsoever, including dubious financial practices, such as pyramid schemes; the impersonation of another subscriber without their consent; or any attempt to enter into a transaction with Carrier Select Telecoms on behalf of another subscriber without their consent.
- Any violation of the exchange control laws of the Republic.
- Any activity that results in the sale, transmission or distribution of pirated or illegal software.
- Failing to respond to a request by a recipient of unsolicited mail to be removed from any mailing or direct marketing list and continuing to send unsolicited mail following such a request for removal.
Where any user resides outside of the Republic, permanently or temporarily, such user will be subject to the laws of the country in which s/he is currently resident and which apply. On presentation of a legal order to do so, or under obligation through an order for mutual foreign legal assistance, Carrier Select Telecoms will assist foreign law enforcement agencies (LEA) in the investigation and prosecution of a crime committed using Carrier Select Telecoms resources, including the provisioning of all personal identifiable data.
The following sections outline activities that are considered an unacceptable use of Carrier Select Telecoms services/network/website and also detail the guidelines for acceptable use of certain facilities/services, as the case may be.
Threats to Network Security
Any activity which threatens the functioning, security and/or integrity of Carrier Select Telecoms network is unacceptable. This includes:
- Any efforts to attempt to gain unlawful and unauthorized access to the network or circumvent any of the security measures established by Carrier Select Telecoms for this goal;
- Any effort to use Carrier Select Telecoms equipment to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network or account (“cracking” or “hacking”);
- Forging of any TCP-IP packet header (spoofing) or any part of the header information in an email or a newsgroup posting;
- Any effort to breach or attempt to breach the security of another user or attempt to gain access to any other person’s computer, software, or data without the knowledge and consent of such person;
- Any activity which threatens to disrupt the service offered by Carrier Select Telecoms through “denial of service attacks”; flooding of a network, or overloading a service or any unauthorized probes (“scanning” or “nuking”) of others’ networks;
- Any activity which in any way threatens the security of the network by knowingly posting, transmitting, linking to or otherwise distributing any information or software which contains a virus; Trojan horse; worm, lock, mail bomb, cancelbot or other harmful, destructive or disruptive component.
- Any unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic on the network without Carrier Select Telecoms explicit, written consent.
- Any unsolicited mass mailing activity including direct marketing; spam and chain letters for commercial or other purposes, without the consent of the recipients of those mails.
Public Space and Third Party Content and sites
In reading this AUP or in signing a service contract with Carrier Select Telecoms, you acknowledge that Carrier Select Telecoms has no power to control the content of the information passing over the Internet and its applications, including e-mail; chat rooms; news groups; or other similar fora, and that Carrier Select Telecoms cannot be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any of the abovementioned content, in any way for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of, or in connection with your use of, or reliance on, any such content.
Our services also offer access to numerous third party webpages. You acknowledge that we exercise absolutely no control over such third party content, or sites and in such cases, our network is merely a conduit or means of access and transmission. This includes, but is not limited to, third party content contained on or accessible through the Carrier Select Telecoms network websites and web pages or sites displayed as search results or contained within a directory of links on the Carrier Select Telecoms network. It remains your responsibility to review and evaluate any such content, and that any and all risk associated with the use of, or reliance on, such content rests with you.
Access to public Internet spaces, such as bulletin boards, Usenet groups, chat rooms and moderated forums is entirely voluntary and at your own risk.
Carrier Select Telecoms employees do not moderate any of these services, or your communications, transmissions or use of these services. We do not undertake any responsibility for any content contained therein, or for any breaches of your right to privacy that you may experience as a result of accessing such spaces.
The customer is responsible for determining and familiarizing himself or herself with the written policies of a given newsgroup before posting to it.
The customer must comply with these guidelines at all times which can be obtained from other users of the newsgroup upon request, or from the group’s administrators/moderators.
The following are prohibited practices with regard to Usenet newsgroups and Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to delete and/or cancel posts which violate the following conditions:
- Excessive cross-posting of the same article to multiple newsgroups.
- Posting of irrelevant or off-topic material to newsgroups (also known as USENET spam).
- Posting binaries to a non-binary newsgroup.
- Posting adverts, solicitations, or any other commercial messages unless the guidelines of the newsgroup in question explicitly permit them.
Protection of Minors
Carrier Select Telecoms prohibits customers from using Carrier Select Telecoms service to harm or attempt to harm a minor, including, but not limited to, by hosting, possessing, disseminating, distributing or transmitting material that is unlawful, including child pornography.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Customers are responsible for any misuse of Carrier Select Telecoms services that occurs through the customer’s account. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that unauthorized persons do not gain access to or misuse Carrier Select Telecoms service.
Carrier Select Telecoms urges customers not to reply to unsolicited mail or “spam”, not to click on any suggested links provided in the unsolicited mail. Doing so remains the sole responsibility of the customer and Carrier Select Telecoms cannot be held liable for the Customer being placed on any bulk mailing lists as a result.
Where the customer has authorized a minor to use any of the Carrier Select Telecoms services or access its websites, you accept that as the parent/legal guardian of that minor, you are fully responsible for: the online conduct of such minor; controlling the minor’s access to and use of any services or websites; and the consequences of any misuse by the minor, including but not limited to transactions entered into by the minor using such access.
Carrier Select Telecoms cannot be held liable for any business dealings you have with any third parties on the Internet, including any vendors, or advertisers found on, or through, the Carrier Select Telecoms network. Further, Carrier Select Telecoms assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any charges you or any user of your account incurs when making purchases or other transactions in this manner. Further, the responsibility for ensuring compliance with all applicable customs and exchange control laws in connection with any such transactions shall be the customer’s.
Notice and Take-down Procedures
Company confirms that it has a procedure in place for the notice and take-down of illegal material. In compliance with section 77 of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (No. 25 of 2002) Carrier Select Telecoms designated agent for this process is the Internet Service Providers’ Association. ISPA can be reached at 010 500 1200 or email@example.com. The notice and take-down procedure can be viewed at http://www.ispa.org.za/code.
Customers are also notified of the content and procedures of the ISPA Code of Conduct which may be used against any Internet service provider who fails to comply with the code of conduct. We urge you to familiarise yourselves with this code.
Complaints and procedures
It is the customer’s responsibility to familiarise himself or herself with the procedure set out below and report any cases of violation of this AUP to Carrier Select Telecoms designated complaints handling agent.
Please note that Carrier Select Telecoms cannot handle complaints concerning networks or users that do not have service contracts with us or our affiliates, or are outside of our control.
In order for Carrier Select Telecoms to thoroughly investigate the complaint and take appropriate action, all complaints must be in writing via e-mail and contain as much information as possible, including, but not limited to:
- the origin of abuse or offence, including the website, full mail headers, relevant logfile extracts etc;
- any contact details for the source of the complaint;
- a brief explanation why the incident is considered to be an offence.
Carrier Select Telecoms discourages anonymous complaints being made via this service, and urges complainants to supply their name and contact details to us. Such information will not be released, except where required by law enforcement. Anonymous complaints will however be acted upon as long as sufficient detail as outlined above is supplied.
Action following breach of the AUP
Upon receipt of a complaint, or having become aware of an incident, Carrier Select Telecoms may take any of the following steps:
- In the case of a network, inform the user’s network administrator of the incident and request the network administrator or network owner to deal address the incident in terms of this AUP and the ISPA Code of Conduct;
- In severe cases suspend access of the user’s entire network until abuse can be prevented by appropriate means;
- In the case of individual users, warn the user; suspend the user’s account and/or revoke or cancel the user’s network access privileges completely;
- In all cases, charge the offending parties for administrative costs as well as for machine and human time lost due to the incident;
- Assist other networks or website administrators in investigating credible suspicions of any activity listed in this AUP;
- Institute civil or criminal proceedings;
- Share information concerning the incident with other Internet access providers, or publish the information, and/or make available the users’ details to law enforcement agencies
Reservation and Non Waiver of Rights
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to amend or alter this policy at any time, and without notice to you.
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to take action against any individuals, companies or organizations that violate any of the prohibited activities set out herein, or engage in any illegal or unlawful activity while accessing our services, to the fullest extent of the law.
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to act against other types of abuse not listed in this document and to investigate or prevent illegal activities being committed over our network.
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to monitor user and network traffic for site security purposes and prevent any unauthorized attempts to tamper with our site or cause damage to our property.
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to suspend, revoke or cancel Carrier Select Telecoms services to the customer/user if the safety and integrity of Carrier Select Telecoms resources are placed at risk in continuing to provide service to the subscriber/user.
Carrier Select Telecoms reserves the right to remove any information or materials in whole or in part, that, in Carrier Select Telecoms sole discretion, is deemed to be offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable.
Carrier Select Telecoms does not undertake to guarantee the security of any data passing through its networks. Although Carrier Select Telecoms will provide a “best effort” service, including regular updates on computer viruses and other threats to security of data, it is the responsibility of the communicating parties to safeguard their data, and Carrier Select Telecoms cannot be held liable for any loss or damage arising as result of the failure to do so.
Carrier Select Telecoms does not waive its right to enforcement of this AUP at any time, or prejudice its right to take subsequent action, should Carrier Select Telecoms fail, neglect or elect not to enforce a breach of the AUP at any time.